Wednesday 20 April 2011

Blossoms and Weaves

As the Final project starts to take shape, I've started to construct a collection of fabric samples, from looking at my drawing and painting work along with my photography work.




Blossom Trees from around Chorlton.....











Blossom Paintings, ink and water colours.






Colour Pallet





I've kept the structure basic, using twills and honeycombs, but adding a lot of hand stitching into the weave itself, it is more time consuming but I love the over all result!
    
Weft Yarns
Cotton and Wool 


Hand Dyed Silk 

Sample 1. Cotton and silk. Honeycomb.


Hand Dyed Ripped Silk, used in my weft. Honeycomb Structure with Hand stitched threads running through it to create a lace effect. 



Embroidery and hand-stitch... 

Embroidery threads that I have used for my hand stitching and embroidery (French Knots)

Sample 2. Cotton, embroidery threads. Twill.




Sample 3. Cotton, Embroidery threads (French Knots) . Twill and Plain weave.




Sample 4. Cotton, Embroidery threads. Twill.






Ripped Flowers....

Sample 5. Cotton yarn and Ripped fabric.

These samples I've woven with cotton and ripped strips of floral patterned fabric to create this random bits of colour I love the hand-made, twee look of it and this method I will be carrying on through into my other samples.





Sample 6. Silk and Cotton 


This sample I have used my hand-dyed silk, I've pulled the silk up to create the bobble effect, I wanted it to have a blossom feel, not sure if it works?








The next move......
Is to have a wool warp instead of cotton, Dip dye some of my own yarns, source floral patterned fabric to use in my weft and to continue using embroidery and hand-stitching into the fabric. Thinking about a concept in which it can be used for.  

1 comment: